Pest control chemicals 'are poisoning owls'
Poison used for pest control is being found in the livers of owls in Canada, leading to the death of some of the birds of prey.
According to a study published by Environmental Health Services, some chemicals get into the systems of other animals who prey on the vermin.
The study explained that mice sometimes end up acting in a different way after they are poisoned and that they can live for days after eating poisoned bait, which makes them vulnerable to predators.
This can expose creatures such as owls to poison as they eat a large number of rodents.
A study of 164 owls collected between 1988 and 2003 found that 70 per cent tested positive for some form of poison.
Earlier this year, a study by the University of Bristol warned that the UK population of hedgehogs might be dwindling due to exposure to rat poison.
This strengthens the argument for using other pest repellent strategies, such as installing electromagnetic pest control devices, rather than laying poison bait.
Traditional pest control not stopping the vermin? Use a revolutionary form of Pest Control in your Workplace to improve the results. Contact our specialists to find out more.
By Jenny Turner