Dead mouse found in pub kitchen
An environmental health officer took photographs of what she thought was food debris on the floor of a pub kitchen only to discover it included a dead mouse, a court heard.
Appearing at Great Yarmouth Magistrates Court on Monday, Barbara Simmons, 52, owner of the Old Hall Inn in Sea Palling, Norfolk, admitted five breaches of food hygiene regulations including not having adequate pest control procedures. She was fined a total of £4,000 with £600 costs.
The court heard that when North Norfolk council inspector Tracey Wright visited on 9 August last year she saw fly papers covered with insects above tables where food was being prepared.
Surfaces, fittings and equipment were dirty and greasy and the oven hob was covered in burnt food debris; the microwave was covered in food and there was what appeared to be black mould on the ice machine. A diary meant for checking hygiene procedures had not been filled in since 2008.
Cara Jordan, prosecuting for the council, said, “It was clear to Ms Wright there was no cleaning regime in place and the kitchen floor was dirty with food debris.
“She took photographs of the floor and it was later she noticed the legs and tail of a dead mouse in the debris," she added.
Returning to the pub with a colleague two days later, Ms Wright found evidence of an active rodent infestation.
Ms Simmons, who lives on the premises, then agreed to an immediate voluntary closure and took out a contract with a pest control company.